Safety razors are a great option if you're looking for a close shave and don't want to spend a fortune on cartridge razors. Plus, a safety razor offers many other benefits, like no pesky ingrown hairs or razor burn that gives the impression that you're a preteen just learning to use a razor.
This guide will tell you everything you need to know about the best safety razors for beginners. We'll cover why safety razors are a great choice, how to get started, how to choose a safety razor, and the top options available on the market.
If you're ready to return to a tried and true old-school form of shaving, you will not be disappointed with using a safety razor. Keep reading to learn why.
What is a Safety Razor?
A safety razor is like a straight razor you see in a barber shop but with a few added safety features to protect you from slicing your face into ribbons.
The best part? It's perfect for sensitive skin, so you don't have to worry about raw-feeling, red, or itchy skin after shaving, either.
Just make sure to use it with wet shaving - you'll need some shaving cream or soap, warm water, a mirror, and your trusty safety razor. And maybe a first aid kit, just in case.
Safety Razor vs. Cartridge Razor: What's the Difference?
Cartridge razors are like a party train with multiple cars - the first one may be shiny and new, but it's seen better days when you reach the back. And just like a party train, cartridge razors can be expensive and leave you with razor burn.
But don't worry; safety razors are here to save the day! They're practical, economical, and environmentally friendly. And when the blade gets dull, just swap it out for a new one. No need to stress about cost or the earth's well-being.
With a safety razor, you can shave in peace and enjoy the simple pleasures in life, like a smooth face and some sweet, sweet savings.
Why Should Beginners Choose a Safety Razor?
Safety razors are an excellent choice for beginners because they give you a close and comfortable shave without any unnecessary nicks or cuts. And trust us, there's nothing worse than covering your face in toilet paper blobs.
But the benefits don't stop there - safety razors are easy to maneuver, have a nice aesthetic, and are eco-friendly with no plastics. Plus, they're gentle on your skin, so you can say goodbye to annoying razor bumps and burn.
So if you're a beginner looking for a hassle-free way to shave, safety razors are the way to go. And don't worry; you won't have to sacrifice style for functionality. It's a win-win situation, folks.
Best Safety Razor for Beginners: Top 11
First, let's review the winner of each category for the best safety razor for beginners:
- Overall winner: EDWIN JAGGER DE89 CHROME KNURLED SAFETY RAZOR CLOSED COMB
- Budget-friendly (short handle edition):YAQI CLASSIC SAFETY RAZOR BLACK
- Budget-friendly (long handle edition):YAQI GRACE SAFETY RAZOR LONG HANDLE
- Best butterfly Razor: PARKER 29L SAFETY RAZOR DOUBLE EDGE BUTTERFLY
- Most lightweight/travel-friendly:HENSON SHAVING AL13-M DE SAFETY RAZOR AIRCRAFT ALUMINUM
- Best safety razor kit: Wet Shaving Co "New Recruit" Safety Razor Kit
- Most sturdy razor (heavyweight): MERKUR 47C DOUBLE EDGE SAFETY RAZOR
- Best adjustable razor: YAQI THE FINAL CUT ADJUSTABLE SAFETY RAZOR
Best safety razor for beginners overall winner: EDWIN JAGGER DE89 CHROME KNURLED SAFETY RAZOR CLOSED COMB
If you're in the market for a new safety razor, the Edwin Jagger DE89 double-edge safety razor is the way to go. It's a best-seller for a reason - it's perfectly balanced and incredible for all experience levels. Plus, it has a closed-comb design that offers a comfortable and close shave without pesky nicks.
But the best part? It has a knurled design for better grip so that you can easily maneuver it. No more fumbling around with a slippery razor.
- A beginner-friendly option for those looking to switch from cartridge razors
- Effortless wet shaving with lots of opportunities to customize your hairstyle
- Reduced risk of ingrown hairs and skin irritation thanks to the closed comb, one-blade design
- Beautiful chrome finish
- Double-edge safety razors equate to less time rinsing and changing blades and more time enjoying baby-soft skin.
- Budget-friendly with low-cost blade replacements
- Eco-friendly: no plastic waste here
- Time efficient: one you get the hang of it, a safety razor can save you time
- If you're new to using a safety razor, there is a learning curve
- It can cause cuts if not used correctly (such as pushing too hard)
- For a closer shave, you may need to use multiple passes (depending on hair type and preferences)- requiring a dose of patience initially.
Best Feature: The closed comb feature is excellent for beginners and experienced users.
The closed comb feature of the Edwin Jagger DE89 safety razor is great for beginners as it helps ensure you don't cut yourself while shaving. The guard protects your skin from the sharpness of the blade and allows you to maneuver it easily around curves, providing a close shave.
Experienced users can also benefit from this feature, as it allows them to shave quickly and accurately with minimal nicks.
Price: $53.95 AUD / $37.00 USD
Rating: 5 Stars
"I really wanted to stop using a disposable razor but was nervous to try a safety razor. I'm so glad I made the switch though! This razor has a great weight to the handle, is easy to use, and most importantly does the job!"
If you want a top-notch safety razor that's easy to use and offers a great shave, the Edwin Jagger DE89 double-edge safety razor is the one for you. And hey, it's a best-seller, so you know it has to be good.
Budget-friendly (short handle edition): YAQI CLASSIC SAFETY RAZOR BLACK
If you want a safety razor that's agile and precise, the Yaqi Classic safety razor is the way to go. It's a short handle that's perfect for those with smaller hands or for anyone who wants a little extra control. With a closed comb head, it is a great entry-level option because it's easy to maneuver. So whether you're a beginner or a pro, the Yaqi Classic safety razor has you covered.
- Provides a great, medium level shave
- Great for frequent use
- Can be used on the head, face, and other parts of the body safely
- Budget-friendly with low-cost blade replacements
- Eco-friendly (like most safety razors)
- Time efficient, a great price, and easy to maneuver thanks to its short handle
- For larger hands, the short handle may be difficult to grip
- Not all users prefer a short handle (preference dependent)
- Like all safety razors, it will take practice to get used to it
- Short handles may be too aggressive for some users that prefer a more mild shave
Best Feature: The short handle offers the most precise shave possible.
The Yaqi Classic safety razor is a great choice if you’re looking for a precise shave. The short handle allows for better maneuverability and control, making it easier to get into those hard-to-reach places without nicking any essential parts (which is all of them in our opinion!).
This short-handled safety razor is also great for beginners who want to venture into the world of wet shaving.
Price (Pricing): $39.95 AUD / $28.00 USD
Rating: 5 stars
" Razor with good finish and discreet weight. The geometry of the head is the classic 89, so easy to handle even by beginners."
If you want an agile and precise safety razor that doesn’t break the bank, the Yaqi Classic is the one for you. Overall, the Yaqi Classic safety razor is an excellent choice for those looking for a budget-friendly option for anyone that's looking for a short-handled razor. You can't beat that value at under $30 for a razor that works!
Budget-friendly (long handle edition): YAQI GRACE SAFETY RAZOR LONG HANDLE
The Yaqi Grace long handle safety razor is a great option for those who want the balance and precision of a long handle. This razor is made for style, performance and affordability and is great for beginners who want to get started safely. The knurled handle provides great grip and looks.
- Long handle for precision and adjustability
- Enhanced wet grip for an irritation free shave
- The hand-polished chrome-plated finish is attractive and easy to clean
- Like all safety razors, it is also eco-friendly and time-efficient
- Some users may struggle with the heavier handle
- It can take a bit of practice to get the hang of using it
- Some users may prefer a more precise shave with a short handle and/or open comb
- A minimum shave profile gives you a safe but efficient shave.
Best Feature: Beautiful chrome finishes that don't break the bank.
This traditional blade razor is perfect for someone who wants a classic look and feel at an affordable price.
Price: $44.95 AUD / $31 USD
Rating: 5 stars
"Gorgeous handle! Fits perfect for big hands like mine. The grip is great. "
The Yaqi Grace ong handle is an excellent choice for those looking for a more traditional razor with a longer handle.
Best butterfly razor: PARKER 29L SAFETY RAZOR DOUBLE EDGE BUTTERFLY
The Parker 29L double-edge safety razor is a great option for those who want the best of both worlds with a butterfly-style head and weighted-long handle.
This razor is great for users who want a precision shave with an added safety feature. The one-piece head makes it a great safety razor for beginners since it opens up easily (a butterfly razor), making it easier to change blades.
- Eco-friendly and plastic free
- Smooth shaving with a weighted handle
- Cost-effective (initial cost and the cost of replacement blades)
- Made of nickel-plated brass
- A knurled handle for a strong grip while wet shaving
- Swapping razor blades is a breeze
- Not all users prefer safety razors with a heavy or long handle
- As always, it takes some practice to get started
Best Feature: Swapping blades is as easy as 1-2-3.
This butterfly-style razor is perfect for those who want to experience a close shave with the added ease of a one-piece head. Just pop off the butterfly top, take out the old blade, and replace it. Piece of cake.
Rating: 4.5 stars
"Needed a new de razor so took a chance on this as the price was very reasonable and I am not disappointed. The handle is long and has an easy grip. It is also heavier than my bluebeards revenge razor handle, so gives an even closer shave. Brilliant razor for the price in my opinion."
This razor is perfectly balanced and always provides a comfortable shave. Great for any user that wants to make shaving as simplified as possible. The butterfly head and high-quality feature make it feel like you're pushing the "easy button" for shaving.
Most lightweight/travel-friendly: HENSON SHAVING AL13-M DE SAFETY RAZOR AIRCRAFT ALUMINUM
For those who don't have a fixed place to shave or want something lighter, the Henson AL13-M DE safety razor is a perfect choice. This lightweight closed-comb razor makes traveling with your razor easy and hassle-free. It's designed to be used with short strokes and is perfect for a beginner or anyone with finer hair stubble.
- A balanced yet lightweight feels
- Balanced simply styled handle
- Great for fine hair stubble for an extra close shave
- A solid option for body shaving
- Offers an efficient yet safe shave
- Some users may prefer a heavier handle
- Not as ideal for thicker or coarser hair
Best Feature: Lightweight in all the right places.
This razor is lightweight, while still putting an emphasis on letting the razor shave you- rather than the opposite.
Price: $124.95 AUD / $86 USD
Rating: 4.6 stars
"Wow, what a shave. An incredibly smooth shave, 2 passes for a BBS shave with zero irritation, nicks or cuts. 100% recommend this to anyone even those with sensitive skin."
For those that don't want a bulky razor, the Henson AL13-M DE safety razor is the perfect option. It offers balance and precision without the extra weight.
Best safety razor kit: Wet Shaving Co "New Recruit" Safety Razor Kit
New to wet shaving with a safety razor? The Wet Shaving Co "New Recruit" kit is the perfect way to get started. This kit includes:
- The Yaqi Classic Double Edge Safety Razor
- Safety razor stand
- Razor blade variety pack (20 blades total from 3 different styles) to help you decide which double edge blades you prefer best
- Synthetic shaving brush
- 100 mL jar of shaving cream
- This a great kit for beginners or anyone looking to take their shaving to the next level with consistency
- Includes a variety of blades to find the best one for you
- The synthetic brush is soft, yet durable- helping you lather up your skin for the most comfortable wet shave yet
- Features a best-selling classic razor from Yaqi
- Not for a seasoned shaver that already has a preference for razors and blades
Best Feature: Literally everything you need to get started with a safety razor.
Whether you're a beginner wanting your first safety razor or have been dabbling in the use of a safety razor, this kit has you covered for getting a precise smooth shave.
Rating: Not yet rated.
This kit is perfect for anyone who wants an all-inclusive wet shaving experience with a safety razor. Grab a kit for yourself, as a thoughtful Christmas gift, or for Father's day.
Most sturdy razor (heavyweight): MERKUR 47C DOUBLE EDGE SAFETY RAZOR
Many safety razor users love the feel of a heavy blade. It helps provide a precise shave without feeling tempted to push on the blade (a big shaving no-no). The Merkur 47C DE safety razor offers a hefty feel and a powerful precision shave that all experience levels love.
- A closed comb reduces the risk of cuts
- Achieve an ultra-close shave every time
- Extra long and heavyweight handle for extra control
- Compatible with all double-edge blades
- Engine-finished handle for great gripping
- The handle may feel too heavy or long for some user preferences
- Some users found it top heavy
Best Feature: “Let the weight of the razor do the work for you.”
The 47C DE razor allows the weight of the blade to do all the hard work. You won't have to (and shouldn't) push on your skin, which can lead to cuts and skin irritation like razor bumps or burn.
Rating: 4.5 stars
"Its a closed comb DE. I had a open one, but was cutting my self to much. Have to make sure you use a 30 degree angle on this DE to get a good shave. Combined with shave soap, brush, it works well."
The Merkur 47C DE safety razor is perfect for those looking for a heavier version of the classic double-edge closed comb.
Best adjustable razor: YAQI THE FINAL CUT ADJUSTABLE SAFETY RAZOR
The Yaqi Final Cut Adjustable Safety Razor has a unique screw-type adjuster that lets you customize your shave. The adjustable settings help you find the perfect balance of closeness and comfort, making it perfect for all experience levels.
- Customizable settings - providing a customized shave
- Get a perfect shave every time- from a mild shave to a more aggressive shave
- Comes with a free razor stand
- Knurled handle for easy gripping
- Some users found the handle too short
- Not all users prefer the adjustability
- Steeper learning curve- making it less ideal for beginners
Best Feature: Full adjustability from 1 to 6 (and beyond).
Your preferred handle length may change from day to day, depending on where you're shaving and how often. Adjustable safety razors like this one give you choices.
Rating: 5 stars
"All in all a really great shaving tool for the price. Efficient and smooth. This razor will not forgive bad technique but truly a delight if you're gentle. If I can get the hang of this razor, seems like it will be my daily driver."
If you're ready for an all-in-one solution for all your shaving needs, this adjustable safety razor just might be the ticket.
How to Choose the Best Safety Razor
So which is truly the best safety razor for beginners? There is no one-size-fits-all choice. Choosing the right safety razor comes down to a few different factors and preferences.
Consider the following when shopping around:
- Blade type: You can choose from a (DE) double-edge blade or a single-edge razor blade. Most safety razor blades offer a DE blade for its practical benefits, like double the shaving power and less time spend rinsing.
- Open comb razors vs closed: Closed combs will give you a more mild shave and reduce the risk of nicks, whereas an open comb safety razor will offer a more aggressive shave with less risk of hair tugging.
- Weight: Heavier safety razors are most often preferred. They serve as a reminder of the powerful tool you have in your hands and will help do the heavy lifting (literally) when trying to perfect your shaving technique. However, some people prefer a lighter blade as well.
- Adjustability: Some safety razors will offer adjustable handles.
- Handle Length: Is the handle comfortable for you to grip and a good fit for where you plan to shave? Shorter handles are better for tighter areas that require more precision, while longer ones are better for larger surfaces.
- Butterfly vs screw top: There are two ways to change your razor blades, with a butterfly-style clip or a classic screw. Both are viable options. For quick ease and changes, some prefer the butterfly design.
- Price: How much do you want to spend on a safety razor for beginners? Quality safety razors can be purchased in a wide price range depending on the finishes and design. All of the safety razors listed above are affordable and great for all skin types, even sensitive skin.
Safety Razor FAQs
Should I start using a safety razor?
Yes! Safety razors are great for all experience levels, budget-friendly, and eco-friendly. The real question is, why wouldn't you switch?
Do safety razors cut easily?
Yes, like any razor blade they can cut your skin. However, with proper technique, you will have minimal issues. Making sure you are wet shaving with a high-quality shaving cream and razor blade will make all the difference.
Is it hard to shave with a safety razor?
Like any new task, it will require an extra dose of patience to get started. After that, it can be just as easy, if not easier, than using a cartridge razor.
Are safety razors better for your skin?
Absolutely. The single blade reduces the chance of tugging on the hair follicles. This means less razor burn, razor bumps, and other common skin irritations.
Do safety razors give a closer shave?
Yes. Safety razors provide a closer shave than most cartridge razors since you can individually adjust the angle of the razor blade, allowing you to customize the shave experience.
Getting Started with a Safety Razor
Ultimately, using a safety razor doesn't have to feel daunting. Instead, you can feel good about your shaving routine by getting the smoothest shave possible- all while also saving money and the world by reducing waste one plastic cartridge at a time.
You should now have all the essential information you need to get started as a safety razor user.